The Tulsa Handweavers Guild is an organization that promotes the craft of weaving in Northeast Oklahoma. Visitors are welcome.
The first account of a handweavers “club” was in a newspaper report written in 1941. Little was documented of this early club and it was not until 1953 that a notice appeared announcing that a meeting was to be held at the YWCA with the purpose of formally organizing a “Handweavers’ Guild” in Tulsa. Twenty-five women were present at this meeting held on May 1, 1953. On June 5, 1953, the “Eastern Oklahoma Weavers Guild” became a formal organization and Mrs. N.J. Gubser was chosen as chairperson of the Guild.
The Guild is fortunate to have a rich weaving history and exciting future. Many of our members are published authors, recognized teachers, and highly respected members of the weaving community.